|Victor's Other Family|
|Season 05, Episode 20|
|Air date||May 9, 2004|
Reese Joins the Army: Part 1
Lois learns that her father, Victor had been cheating on her mother before she was even born, which was taken to the point where he had even started a second family with her. She receives a phone call from her half-sister, inviting them over to meet them for the first time.
Francis visits the stall at the Grotto Ranch to confront an amorous horse named Thunder who has been sharing a stall with Betsy the cow. He orders Thunder back in his own stall much to Betsy's dismay
Lois has just found out that she has a half-sister named Roberta and brings Reese, Jamie and Malcolm with her to meet their aunt and cousins in Manitoba. Her step-mother, Sylvia comments that she looks exactly like Victor and gives her a warm welcome. Despite some nervous moments between them, they're getting along great. While going through photos, Sylvia notices pictures of Lois and Susan looking sad. They are sympathetic to Lois and convinced that Ida had not raised them properly. She thinks it's going to be nice, quality time with Sylvia and her family. That is until a furious and vengeful, Ida arrives at the house to spoil everything. She has lost the court case and demands for Victor's pension from his secret family. It was also revealed that Sylvia's family had a restraining order Ida. When she enters Sylvia's house demanding the money, she even argues that the stuff that the other family got were stolen from her(including an old couch from her trip to Paris) and is confident that she will bring the truth out to haunt Sylvia's family for the rest of their lives. Lois diffuses the situation by telling Ida off that they discuss this later in her apartment and when they're alone. She also tells Ida off that unless she wants to have her wig remove to expose her tick scars, she will quietly leave this house. Enraged and begrudgingly, Ida agrees to leave.
Meanwhile, Hal plans to go racing with Dewey who dreads it. Hal is blinded and accidentally take the dog on the leash, leaving him at the starting line.
Malcolm bonds with Jerome who is not only smart, but popular and happier. He helps Malcolm relax and unwind. Reese tries to bond with his other cousin, Scott, who is dumb like him. However, he scares Scott away with his rowdiness and love for destruction. Hence, it proves Malcolm's point about him and Reese being barely the same species despite being brothers.
At Mr. Dietrich's office, Lois learns that Roberta's family had no knowledge of the pension and only learned about Victor's relationship with Ida. Mr. Dietrich informs them that the only way Ida could win the case against the family in not only collecting the pension (it's only $43.50 a month, Canadian) and proving that she is Victor's common-law wife, is a paternity DNA test, along with mailing addresses in their names. He mentions that he needs both Lois' and Susan's DNA to see if they match Victor's DNA. As he leaves to set up an appointment, Lois tries to get Ida to be sensible knowing if she goes after this lawsuit, she'll lose money on it. Ida doesn't care, admitting that Sylvia stolen what was rightfully hers and will go through with the lawsuit because she loves Victor.
Later on, Lois visits Sylvia, who notices she is gravely concerned and asks her what's wrong. She reluctantly informs Sylvia about the pension along with Ida's plans to sue them again. Lois mentions that she tried to stop her mother knowing that she could lose money going after it, but Ida was adamant. Lois asks for Sylvia to sign a legal document that could help her avoid a potential lawsuit. Sylvia refuses and sends her away. Lois reluctantly helps Ida with the case at her apartment, finding evidence of mailing addresses proving Victor was living with them. Lois opens the envelope that contains the DNA test results. When she learns that only Susan matched Victor's DNA and not her, Lois demanded answers from Ida. She soon learn that Ida had an affair with a man named Radu Gogorsky out of spite for Victor in his affair with Sylvia. When she also learns that he wasn't legally married to her mother, that Victor fathered Susan and the real reason why he never accepted Lois as his child, she willingly told Ida off that she will never forgive her for lying to her and abandons her case.
At Sylvia's house, Lois informs Roberta and Sylvia that she's not related to Victor and learned that Ida lied to her the whole time. She also mentions that despite being another man's child, she is legally Victor's child and that Sylvia share Ida's sentiments in hating him. Sylvia agrees to sign the rights to the pension as long as she never mentions her hating Victor again. Lois takes her boys home to California.
- Jane Kaczmerek as Lois
- Bryan Cranston as Hal
- Christopher Kennedy Masterson as Francis
- Justin Berfield as Reese
- Erik Per Sullivan as Dewey
- Frankie Muniz as Malcolm
- Cloris Leachman as Ida
Special Guest StarEdit
- Betty White as Sylvia
- Maura Soden as Roberta
- Andrew James Allen as Jerome
- Adam Wylie as Scott
- Tom Virtue as Mr. Dietrich
- Megan Hubble as Jerome's Girlfriend
- Much about the backstory of Lois' family is revealed in this episode. It is revealed that Victor isn't her biological father or even the legal husband of Ida. Her true father was a man named Radu Gogorsky. Susan's true father is still ambiguous, but it's possible that Victor is her father. Meanwhile, Victor had been cheating on Ida long before Lois was even born, with a woman named Sylvia. In turn when Ida found out, she had an affair with Radu Gogorsky to spite him, that lead to Lois' birth. Victor would always claim to be going on business trips throughout his fatherhood of Lois, when he was really visiting Sylvia. He had even started a biological family with Sylvia, and was the exact opposite of what he was to Lois, being a nice, caring, and idyllic father to them.
- Although she never reveals what it actually is, Lois reveals that she has five letters in her middle name.
- It is also revealed that Ida's hair is really a wig.
- It is even revealed that Lois and the boys are part Ukrainian due to Radu Gogorsky being a Ukrainian name.
- 2nd and last appearance of Betsy the Cow.