|Family & Friends|
|Parents|| Ida Kenzel (mother)|
Radu Gogorsky (biological father)
Victor Welker (stepfather)
|Siblings||Susan Welker (sister)|
|Children|| Francis (son)|
|Portrayed by||Jane Kaczmarek|
Lois Welker-Wilkerson is one of the main characters of Malcolm in the Middle. She is the wife of Hal and originally had four kids Francis, Reese, Malcolm and Dewey in seasons 1 to 4 until later in season 4, when she gave birth to Jamie.
Lois was born in November, 1962. She lived with her horrible parents, Ida and Victor Welker (Though she was unaware that Victor wasn't even her actual father.) and her younger sister named Susan Welker, who later became wealthy. For much of her life, Lois was completely unaware he father had another family (Which Victor greatly preferred over Lois and Ida.) Lois was forced to endure a miserable childhood with her parents bullying and ignoring her and favoring Susan. Lois went to school when she was 5 in 1967 and graduated when she was 18 In 1980. She soon got a part-time job at the Lucky Aid. When she was in college she met the man of her dreams, Hal Wilkerson (Despite the fact Hal was one of the things that ruined her life.) As a Teenager, Lois had a lot of dreams that were destined never to come true. Her hot temper and controlling behavior grew from this.
Lois was pregnant and went into labor with her first child, Francis, right in the middle of her's and Hal's wedding in the episode "Flashback". Hal accidentally leaves Francis in the closet when he's a baby, but soon finds him. 3 years later Lois went into labor for three to four hours with her second child named Reese. When Francis was four and Reese was one, Lois got pregnant again and moved into a two bedroom, one bathroom house. When Lois and Hal got into an argument, Hal went for a ride and Lois's water broke and had Malcolm in the yard.
Four and a half years later; Francis, age nine, was already getting into legal trouble, Reese, age five, was obnoxious and Malcolm, age four, had a high I.Q.. When it was raining Malcolm set off the smoke alarm and Lois had Dewey in the yard. Everybody says that Lois is a control freak and sent Francis to Military School. Five years later she had her son Jamie on the bed in her and Hal's room, while Hal was away at the hospital. In the last episode of the last season, Lois is seen taking a pregnancy test ....... which reveals to be positive.
Before her children were born, Lois was a much more different woman than who she is today. She was meek, soft spoken and had a tendency to phone a psychologist to help her stand up to Hal. Her personality took a complete 180 when an infant Francis almost burned himself, she was able to scare the boy back into his highchair while holding his stuffed bear over an open flame regardless to any burns she would suffer. That dominant personality has stuck with her ever since. Lois cannot stand when something is out of her control. She must be right about everything, and she must win any argument no matter how petty. She must have the last say in everything and most importantly she must have total control over her sons' and husband's lives and to an extent the lives of people she knows. She becomes furious when they choose to do anything for themselves, something that has put her at odds with Francis since he delights in going against her. She is so controlling that she actually planned out what career path Malcolm is to take and has even forbidden him from seeing girls until she chooses his wife for him, this controlling aspect faded later in the series as shown when she didn't care that malcolm was dating a girl. She finally realizes this problem herself when stuck in a traffic jam and uses a crane to lift cars out of the way,though she didn't change this problem afterwards.
Lois's family history is quite complicated, she never knew that Victor Welker wasn't her biological father and didn't realize this until after he died. She first found out in Victor's Other Family where Lois and the boys (except for Francis, Dewey and Hal) went to canada to visit his secret family. Things went well until Ida came to ruin the moment and demanded for his pension. Because of this, Lois had to help her with an upcoming lawsuit and during that time it was the closest thing she had to Ida loving her. However, she discovers that Victor isn't her biological father but a man named Radu Gorosky and abandons the case. Lois mentions this to Sylvia, Victor's other wife and her daughter. She also mentions that altough he isn't her biological father, she mentions that he will always be her father even if they are not blood related because he cared for her and raised her as if she was his own. While Malcolm actually starts to bond with his stepcousins, Lois reveals everything to him and he stands in the living room shocked and dissapointed. This reveals that Victor's secret family is not even related to the Wilkersons and so it is unknown if Susan is her biological sister. It was also revealed in Garage Sale that Victor and Ida clearly favored her and thought Lois was hopeless and untalented.
Although Lois is married to Hal, his family still continuosly mistreats her cruelly because she is not high class like them. Hal's family is even against this marriage just because of her wealth and her loudmouth, pushy personality. They dislike her to the point that they tricked into leaving a family photo snapshot so she couldn't be a part of it. This proves that despite being married to Hal, they don't consider her a part of the family and still wished he married Susan instead of Lois because she was talented and higher class. This stunt forced the boys to get revenge on the Wilkerson family by destroying thier family dinner and specially baked cake with a golf cart. Lois was grateful for this but never admitted it and acted like she was angry. This incident caused her to be nicer to Piama seeing how her treatment towards her resembles the way Hal's family treats her. It was also noted that she was the only one who didn't back down when Lois went after her in Hal's Birthday.
Neighbors greatly despise Lois and her boys because of all the trouble it caused them and made no attempt to hide it, except for Hal. Unlike Malcolm, she doesn't seemed to be bothered by it and attempts to blend in with them for gatherings. The neighbors sees Lois as an overbearing, loud-mouthed and pushy control freak who doesn't care about their feelings. This was shown a couple of times in the show. The first time was in Season 2's New Neighbors, when Lois attempted to get along with Tina, but got into a serious dispute with her after she took action in disciplining Emily by clamping her nose tight and forced her to let go of Reese if she wants to breathe properly. She was happy when Tina and her kids moved away immediately because she doesn't have to deal with her. The second time it was shown was in Season 5's Block Party, when they celebrate the weekends that Lois along with Reese, Malcolm and Dewey are away. The third time was in Season 7's Mono, the neighbors invited Hal to their social gathering and though happy about it, he realises that they're only celebrating because she has mono and she won't be there to ruin it by picking fights with them. This proves that Lois is unpopular and was never invited to all of the neighbors' gatherings, despite them getting along with Hal.
Like her boys, Lois doesn't have a lot of friends and only ones she does have, she ends up having conflicts with them. Only on a rare occasion that she would get along with them
Kitty Kenarban: She was a mild mannered, soft spoken person before meeting Lois and her family. They initially were friends until she had left her family in Goodbye Kitty. When Kitty returned in Kitty's Back to reconcile with her family, Lois found it hard to forgive her for the bad things she has done to Abe and Stevie and told her off to stay away from them. This got her in a serious dispute with Abe and Stevie. Lois finally forgives Kitty after hearing Frank Wolston's speach about manners affecting everyone.
Polly: Introduced in Season 5 as Jamie's babysitter, she got along with Lois pretty welll. She attempted to secretly set her up on a date with Craig, so he can forget his obssession over her.
Stevie Kenarban: Athough one of Malcolm's friends, Lois greatly likes having him around, evident when he came to stay with her family in Season 4's Stupid Girl. Unlike both Reese and Malcolm, he was very helpful and she proudly prounces that it's nice to have someone in the house whom isn't a rude little monster. For all the hardwork he's done for her, Lois rewards Stevie by taking him to the dance.
Mr. Pinter: Lois' boss in Lois VS Evil. He fired her out of spite because she was originally up for promotion as manager of Lucky Aide and she refused to take it. She would later confront him for all the misdeeds he's done and revealed Pinter's horrible secret about him sleeping with the district manager's wife. Unkowingly enough, Lois' accusations didn't go unnoticed as half her co-workers overheard and planned to tell the district manager the truth. Pinter turned around and quit to avoid humiliation.
Tina: One of the new neighbors that lived next door to the Wilkersons. Tina was Mike's wife along Josh and Emily's mother. Lois tried to get along with her, but she immediately knew Tina is extremely rude and antagonistic towards her. She was offended when she saw Lois disciplining Emily by clamping her nose tight and got into a serious dispute with each other. Tina moves away with her kids immediately after Malcolm and Reese, along with the neighbors caught her cheating on Mike with her gardener. This made Lois esctactic because she didn't have to deal with her rude and antagonistic behavior anymore.
Hal's Family: Hal's family hates Lois because she's lower class, has a loud-mouth, pushy personality and is untalented. Whenever she comes to visit them, they would always continue to mistreat her as a reminder that they don't consider her part of the family.
Susan: Lois' younger sister who holds a personal grudge against her for stealing Hal away from her. Their relationship still hasn't changed even after Susan ungratefully accepted her kidney.
Matt: A previous boyfriend who appeared in Zoo. Matt was bitter with Lois for dumping him and marrying Hal. He found ways to embarrasss him just to win her back. In the end, Lois tells Matt off to leave Hal alone because she loves him and that won't change her mind.
- In later seasons, Lois appears to be slightly calmer. While the earlier seasons, she was shown to be overbearing and constantly screaming.
- It was revealed in Garage Sale that Susan was the family favorite and she gave her a hard time about being called "hopeless" while she was pregnant. This made Lois reflect on how bad and unmotivated Reese is and tried to help him build up his self-esteem by letting him lead a garage sale against Malcolm's admontation because it was his idea. She soon realised her mistake when he finally told her about an old computer he found which would've brought them an awesome $1300. Lois loses her faith in Reese when he destroys the computer and she reprimands him for it.
- In both Home Alone 4 and Family Reunion, It's revealed Hal's family hated Lois and gave her a hard time because she was lower class, untalented and very pushy. They would've prefered that he had married Susan Welker instead because she was more talented and a higher class woman. This reflected on how Lois mistreated Piama and finally started to get along with her better.
- During her early stages of pregancy in If Boys Were Girls, Lois began thinking about the consequence of having to raise another brawling son after a fight between Malcolm, Reese and Dewey. Having enough, she dreamed of what her life would've been like if she had well-behaved daughters to begin with. Though starting off nice and pleasant, she soon learns it would've been more difficullt in different ways with lots of feminine problems. While boys are mischievious and destructive, girls are manipulative and rude. Despite what happened, Lois secretly still wants to have a daughter, proving that she hadn't learned her lesson or anyhting from the experience.
- In the Series Finale, it was revealed that Lois was pregnant again. She had also planned for her children's future. Francis was the only one who had followed Hal's footsteps and it greatly infuriated her because she had big plans for him and he rebelled against it. She was aware that Reese amounted to nothing, but a janitor at his former high school. Malcolm a president(though he didn't like that), Dewey a rich musician and Jamie(unknown for his future).
- Despite having liked Hal because of his similar interests in activities, everyone in the neighborhood despises Lois, except for the Kenarbans, Abe's poker buddies and Mrs. Griffith. This was shown three times in Season 2's New Neighbors, Season 5's Block Party and Season 7's Mono because she would often get into serious disputes with the neighbors.
- In Season 5's Victor's Secret Family, Lois' real father was revealed to be Radu Gogorsky, a man Ida had a secret affair with before she married Victor. Shocked and upset with her mother for lying to her, Lois willingly abandoned the case and returned home to California with her boys.
- Lois' favourite colour is green which is revealed in Smunday