|Season 7, Episode 2|
Reese vs. Stevie
After Hal forgets to pay the family's health insurance, the company won't reinstate it until Monday, so he panics and locks up the boys in their room to keep them from getting hurt but ends up hurting himself. Meanwhile, Lois thinks that Craig is snitching to the boss about the employees starting a union.
- In this episode, Hal is making a really big deal because he forgot to pay health insurance. But in some earlier episodes, we can see that family didn't have health insurance, because they have to pay for medical services. They got a bill when Malcolm had head injury, they got a bill when Hal had allergic reaction, and when Malcolm was in the hospital for few days. So, having no health insurance wouldn't be something new for this family.
- Hal reveals that he once left Dewey in Mexico. Possibly the first time Hal tried to reach the ranch and ended up in Mexico instead, which Francis mentioned in an earlier episode.
- Hal: I got news for you, Reese. Seventeen-year-olds die all the time.
- Reese: Come on, Dad, that's just something they tell you so you'll stay off drugs.
- Hal: It's a very special moment when a father watches his boys lie to their mother for him. There's only one thing that could make me prouder: if one of you could saw off my leg.
- Craig: Let the records show that I advocated a policy of cowardice and appeasement.