|Season 6, Episode 7|
Hal's Christmas Gift
Lois Battles Jamie
It's Hal and Lois' 20th anniversary and Hal has no idea what to get her. He becomes so paralyzed with stress, that he begins sleepwalking and Reese takes advantage of it. A bully nominates two Buseys for student body president. Meanwhile, Malcolm takes up the guitar.
- Francis does not appear in this episode.
- This episode reveals that Hanson's first name is "David".
- Second episode to use censored bleeps (Dirty Magazine).
- Lois and Hal finally admit that Dewey is musically talented.
- Malcolm walks in an the family is watching TV. The camera cuts to Malcolm reaching for the remote. In this shot, the TV is turned off, yet there is still sound from the TV playing and Malcolm still turns the TV off.
- There are a lot of events that happen in this episode, which cause plot holes in the series that contradict with events from previous and future episodes.
- Francis was born on the day Hal and Lois got married (Flashback). Since this was their 20th anniversary, That means that this episode must have taken place on his birthday and Francis is 20 years old, turning 21 in this episode. Additionally, Francis' birthday is never mentioned in this episode. This is the second episode to take place on their aniversary and make no mention of Francis' birthday. (Dewey's Dog)
- In the episode Hal Quits, Malcolm takes a test which tells him that he could be good at anything he does. However, this episode proves he's bad at music.
- In this episode, it's established that Lois is always right when telling her children that they won't be good at something. She briefly tells Malcolm that "Flamenco dancing would have been a disaster" if he tried it. Later in the series, however, Malcolm takes up dancing and proves to be extremely talented at all forms of it, including flamenco dancing. (Bomb Shelter)