|Season 05, Episode 18|
|Air date||May 2, 2004|
Polly in the Middle
Dewey is taking a test to determine what his learning level is. Malcolm remembers that this is the same test that got him into the Krelboyne class when he was Dewey's age and to save his reputation, Malcolm convinces Dewey to fail the test, by letting Reese take it for him. This backfires, however, as it actually lands Dewey in the 'Buseys' which is a class for emotionally disturbed. Meanwhile, Hal runs into Criag at a restaurant arcade, playing Jump Jump Dance Party. (a parody on Dance Dance Revolution)
Malcolm coaches Dewey on how to "throw" an IQ test so he will not end up in the Krelboyne class. When he refuses and announces his intent to join the Krelboynes, Malcolm enlists Reese to take the test for Dewey. However, his poor test taking skills lands Dewey in the emotionally disturbed "Busey" class instead of keeping him in the regular class.
Malcolm feels guilty for the whole thing and tries to get Dewey out of the class. At Dewey's school, he speaks to the school counselor and tries to convince her to retest his younger brother. Malcolm mentions that it was his and Reese's own fault they messed up by sabotaging his test. While sympathetic to his plight, she informs Malcolm that she can't do anything to help out and that he would have to wait again before they can retest Dewey. This makes him worried because if Lois finds out about his and Reese's sabotaging Dewey: they would suffer a lengthy grounding.
Meanwhile, Reese tries to figure out what type of genius he is. However, Lois shoots him down by reminding him that he's an idiot and not a genius like his brothers. When Dewey gets the chance to leave the Buseys, he decides he can't abandon his new friends, so he acts disturbed to keep his place there. Because of his actions in taking over the class from the incompetent teacher, Dewey becomes their new leader.
Hal and Craig enter a Dance Dance Revolution-style contest. When Craig suffers an injury, Hal tries to turn to Lois for help and ends up getting the help of a kid who knows his and Craig's routine.
The next day, Dewey tells Lois about Malcolm's plans that gets her angry at him. Before Reese could tell Dewey that he's figured out what genius he is, Lois grounds the two older boys for their behavior. Malcolm in his sabotage in trying to keep Dewey out of the Krelboyne class and Reese because he's the one who took the test for him(Dewey).
- First appearances of David Hanson, Zoe Desenea, and Chad.
- Much like how the gifted class has the nickname "The Krelboynes", this episode shows that the school also has an emotionally disturbed class called "The Buseys".
- Jump Jump Dance Party is a parody on Dance Dance Revolution.
- The songs that play on Jump Jump Dance party throughout the episode are Milkshake by Kelis, The Hampsterdance, a remake of Double Dutch Bus originally by Frankie Smith, a remix of All Around the World by Cooler Kids, and a remake of Sometimes When We Touch originally by Dan Hill.
- Lois called Hal and Craig "Fred and Ginger". This was a reference to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Two famous dance partners that were featured in many movies about them.
- After being called "Fred and Ginger", Craig said "I thought they were Fred and Barney", referring to Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble from The Flintstones.
- Bryan Cranston (Hal's actor) said in an interview that he and Dave Higgins (Craig's actor), had to practice playing six weeks of "Jump Jump Dance Party" in order to prepare for their roles in this episode.
- Bryan Cranston's dancing sequence received an Emmy award nomination for "Outstanding Choreography".