The family attends Hal's company picnic, where Hal tries to avoid his new boss John Pratt because of his bleak history of first impressions and the fact that when he does finally meet Pratt, he mistakes Hal for the head of the company Burt Landon (Patrick Warburton).
Malcolm sees an old crush named Laurie who asks Malcolm to participate in a three legged scavenger hunt with her. He accepts and states that he likes her although it is now awkward because Laurie was thinking about a boy named Gary Spindler.
Lois starts off trying to keep Dewey from eating any candy as candy makes him go crazy, only to find herself in a seemingly never ending conversation with a woman named Meg (Susan Sarandon) who can't stop talking about her husband and how he lacks any communication with her.
Francis finds himself caught up in an ice hockey match between the loggers and a female oil-rig crew managed by Lavernia's old rival Clarence (Terry Bradshaw) and bets against the loggers, as well as attempting to sabotage his friends, knowing that if he wins the money he can pay off his debts to Lavernia and leave his Alaskan hellhole.
Guest appearances include: Terry Bradshaw, Tom Green, Howie Long, Stephen Root, Christina Ricci, Susan Sarandon, Patrick Warburton, Heidi Klum, Lauren Storm, Magic Johnson and Bradley Whitford.
- This episode aired immediately after Superbowl XXXVI.
- This two-part episode was nominated for two Emmy awards. Susan Sarandon was nominated for the best Guest Actress in a comedy series. Bobby Porter was also nominated for his stunt coordination in this episode.
- Hal's specific occupation is revealed to be a systems manager in this episode.
- Stevie was mentioned by Francis over the phone, but he did not make an actual appearance.
- In an attempt to keep Laurie from falling in love with him, Reese tells her that he's gay. This is untrue for the character, however, Reese's actor, Justin Berfield would later come out as a homosexual in the future.
- Mr. Pratt addresses Hal as "Mr. Landon", and Hal makes many attempts to correct him for calling him by what isn't his last name. At no point in the episode is Hal's real last name ever mentioned. This is because the writers of the show wanted to keep the real last name of the family a secret, until the last episode.
(Man) Hal, this is your new supervisor, Ms. Plum.
(Ms. Plum) [Shaking hands] Great to meet you, Hal. I'm really looking forward to working with you.
(Hal) Same here.
[He looks at her tummy]
(Hal) [Singsongy] Oh, and what do we have here? [He rubs her belly lightly while chuckling]
(Ms. Plum) [Singsongy] My big fat stomach.
[The man cringes at Hal as Hal slowly frowns.]
[Lois Wilkerson walks in and spots several glass bowls with candy bars and packaged candy]
[She then spots Dewey standing over at the opposite table looking at everyone who passes him.]
[She approaches him.]
(Dewey) Oh, hi, Mom. Splendid day for a picnic.
(Lois) You want to do this the easy way or the hard way?
[Dewey realizes he's been caught, and lets out a sigh.]
(Dewey) The hard way.
(Lois) Spread 'em
[Dewey turns around, spreads his hands and legs, and puts his hands on the table.]
[Lois searches all of his pockets and pulls out at least 6 different candy bars, and then feels around in his hood and pulls out another candy bar. She then spins him around to face her.]
(Lois) Honey, I'm not always going to be around to do this. You have to control yourself.
(Dewey) I know
[Dewey starts to walk away, but Lois pulls on his hood.]
[Dewey's hand goes below the camera's view and comes back up with a lollipop. Lois takes it as Dewey walks away.